The General Idea

"Hello!
Welcome to the MalapropCast.
The purpose of this Blog is quite simple:

We are here to open up a discussion about the American Shakespeare Center's 'Almost Blasphemy' tour.

See? Simple as that.

This blog will be supplemented by/supplemental to a Podcast of the same name in which we'll try to include interviews with performers and audience members, cast performances of scenes, discussions of elements of the kind of theatre (no typo, that's how we spell the live stuff) we do. That, and I hope to include a good amount of personal posts and retrospectives on what it's like to be on tour.

Really, we're just here to play.

So come and play with us, wont you?"

...
Well, that was the case, at least.
I no longer work for the ASC, but i do still have the itchy fingers and pen of an amateur writer, and i like the idea of keeping this conversation going.
So i'm gonna.
I'll wax ridiculous about my life, my attempts to get work, and my over-mulled analysis of this world and city and business and, and, and...
You get the idea.



Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bar Harbour, Maine: College of the Atlantic

This post comes rather out of the typical order.
A view From the Discovery space.
Usually you'll find the From/Of the Discovery space post After we've done our show at any venue.  Today is such a loverly dern day, however, that i found myself ambulating the town of Bar Harbour with no more desire than to find myself tucked far away from the sunshine in an Internet Cafe (they still have those, apparently). Now, having compulsively paid the 2.50 for 25 minutes opening fee i need to do something more productive than look at facebook.
So here we are.

A view Of the Discovery Space.




The campus of CoA looks like a great big ski lodge.
In truth, this whole town does.
Not being a ski-er of any proficiency i find this as alienating as i do charmingly foreign.  In all, i rather like it here.  Everywhere you look there's a sign for a cafe, or a family diner, or some other convenience.  i'm reasonably sure that there's a town ordinance prohibiting the presence of any chain/franchise dining establishments because last night, in a fit of fast-food craving madness i searched for the closest crappy-burger/taco joint and couldn't find one within 15 miles of myself.  Needless to say, this defeats the purpose of making such an impulse driven excursion, so i didn't get my 4th meal.  Shame, that.

Last night, well before i had any liquid capitol to justify my participation therein, a solid contingent of the company and I went to a lobster feast.  It was delicious, expensive, and more fun than you'd expect from the systematic destruction of a big red, dead sea-bug.  Buttery-yum-yum, indeed.

The town seems to be preparing for a sizable influx of marathon runners for tomorrow.  Signs in windows advertising long-running amenities, the population has thickened noticeably (in number, not waistline.  haha) and the wearing of the contemporary style of skin-tight running apparel has redoubled.
Needless to say, all of these preparations have put me in a mind to remember how simple and unimpressive my life's accomplishments have been.  I couldn't run 26.2 miles if i were being chased by the slathering hordes of Hades nor if i had all the promise of Eternal Elysium a the end.  26.2 Miles?  Hell, i doubt i could manage the .2!
So, marathoners, Jog on, Jog on the footpath way...and i'm goanna go find a $.99 taco.

P.S. Today is my dear friends' Wedding!  Please help me in my long distance congratulations of them!  Huzzah for Mike Baker and Brittany Rogers (soon to be Baker)!  My love and best of wishes to both of you.



1 comment: